The Homestead: Social Worker – Bishop Lavis Drop-in Centre
Closing Date: 15 October 2023
Expected Start Date: Immediately
The Homestead Projects for Street Children successfully transitions neglected and abused children away from the street, back home or on to successful independent living through a holistic set of prevention, outreach, stabilisation, residential care, family reunification and youth transitional programmes. The Homestead works with chronically neglected, abused, and abandoned children as well as with children living, working and begging on the street.
The Homestead seeks to appoint a qualified and SACSSP registered Social Worker to be based at our Drop-in Centre in Bishop Lavis, Cape Town.
Remuneration: R16 500 per month (gross), plus provident fund.
- Provide psychosocial support and family preservation services to vulnerable children at risk of street life, neglect and abuse, school dropout in Bishop Lavis.
- Provide social work services, school attendance and support, crisis intervention to the children attending the Homestead Drop-in Centre.
- Conduct individual and family assessments, develop and manage IDP’s and provide therapeutic services, guidance and support to vulnerable children and their families
- Refer children to statutory services and other external resources when necessary.
- Oversee and coordinate the Drop-in Centre programme, including social and life skills programmes, group work, holiday programmes, school support and recreational activities
- Conduct positive parenting skills and public education and awareness programmes
- Afrikaans as a home language and ability and willingness to work in the Bishop Lavis community, conducing home and school visits, etc.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English
- Drivers licence
- Degree in Social Work and proof of current SACSSP registration
- Computer literacy Microsoft (Word, Excel, email, social media and the web)
- Willingness to complete a pre-employment Polygraph examination as well as to undergo in-depth reference and character checks.
- That your name does not appear on the Child Protection register and there is no reason why you cannot work with children.
- High energy individual, with a drive for detail, reliable, and able to work independently in the field and as part of a highly motivated team.
To apply, please submit a motivation letter, CV with two recent and contactable references, police clearance certificate and qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more about Homestead Projects for Street Children, refer to: www.homestead.org.za